- IPR political scientist James Druckman and social policy professor and IPR associate Cynthia Coburn were appointed to the National Academies’ Standing Committee on Advancing Science Communication Research and Practice.
- The Education Lab at the University of Chicago Urban Labs, co-directed by IPR economist Jonathan Guryan, received $15 million from AbbVie to give more students the resources to stay in school and succeed in life.
- Sheridan Fuller, an IPR graduate research assistant, was named a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Scholar.
- Oncofertility specialist and IPR associate Teresa Woodruff was elected to the National Academy of Medicine, one of the highest honors in health and medicine.
- Health disparities scholar and IPR associate Melissa Simon received the Award for Excellence from the American Public Health Association.
- Dean Karlan, development economist and IPR associate, was awarded the 2018 Terry McAdam Book Award for a book he co-authored called The Goldilocks Challenge.
- IPR education researcher Larry Hedges received the Yidan Prize for Education Research.
- The European Economic Association awarded the Hicks-Tinbergen medal to finance professor and IPR associate Paola Sapienza and her co-authors for their paper on long-term persistence.
- The American Statistical Association presented the Statistical Partnerships Among Academe, Industry, and Government Award to IPR statistician Bruce Spencer and his colleagues for their work in the National Science Foundation—Census Research Network.
- The National Tax Association awarded public finance economist and IPR associate Therese McGuire the 2018 Stephen D. Gold Award. The honor annually recognizes a person who has made significant contributions to state and local public finance, including both academic research and public policy making.
- IPR economist Seema Jayachandran received the Sustainability Science Award from the Ecological Society of America.
- IPR psychologist Alice Eagly was awarded the 2018 SAGE Award for Scholarly Contribution from the Academy of Management, Division of Gender and Diversity in Organizations. She also won the 2018 Kurt Lewin Award for Distinguished Research on Social Issues from the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues.
- Sociologist and IPR associate Héctor Carrillo was awarded this year's Distinguished Contribution to Research Book Award from the Latina/o Sociology Section of the American Sociological Association for his book, Pathways of Desire: The Sexual Migration of Mexican Gay Men. The book also won in the Sex and Gender Section.
- Professor of medical social sciences and IPR associate Brian Mustanski was elected president of the International Academy of Sex Researchers.
- Larry Hedges, IPR education researcher and statistician, was made an honorary member of the European Association of Methodology.
- Psychologist and IPR associate David Rapp was elected a fellow of the Society for Text and Discourse.
- IPR labor and education economist Kirabo Jackson was named the 17th recipient of the Martin E. and Gertrude G. Walder Award for Research Excellence.
- IPR economist Charles Manski was awarded an honorary doctorate by the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
- Ellen Wartella, communications studies researcher and IPR associate, received the Dorothy Ann and Clarence L. Ver Steeg Distinguished Research Fellowship Award.
- Communications studies researcher and IPR associate Daniel O'Keefe was elected a fellow of the International Communication Association.
- IPR social psychologist Mesmin Destin was awarded the American Psychological Association Committee on Socioeconomic Status Emerging Leadership Award. He was also named a fellow of the Association for Psychological Science.
- Melissa Simon, health disparities scholar and IPR associate, received the Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Mentoring from the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy and the National Science Foundation.
- Pediatrician and IPR associate, Jane Holl was awarded the John M. Eisenberg Excellence in Mentorship Award from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- IPR anthropologist Christopher Kuzawa was elected to the National Academy of Sciences.
- Political scientist and IPR associate Ana Arjona received the 2018 Conflict Research Society Book of the Year Prize for Rebelocracy: Social Order in the Colombian Civil War (Cambridge University Press, 2016).
- Design For America, founded by mechanical engineer and IPR associate Elizabeth Gerber, was recognized with Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum’s National Design Award for corporate and institutional achievement.
- The College of Law Practice Management named dean of the law school and IPR associate Daniel Rodriguez a Fellow in its Class of 2018.
- Laurel Harbridge-Yong, Mesmin Destin, Sylvia Perry and Thomas Ogorzalek were were awarded Weinberg College Research Innovation Grants, which are intended to provide seed funding for catalyzing creative exploratory research.
- Professor of medical social sciences and IPR associate Brian Mustanski received the Award for Distinguished Contribution to Education and Training from the American Psychological Association's Society for the Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity.
- Ellen Wartella, communication studies researcher and IPR associate, was elected a fellow of the Association for Psychological Science.
- IPR psychologist Alice Eagly received the Legacy Award from the Society for Personality and Social Psychology.
- IPR education sociologist Simone Ispa-Landa and IPR developmental psychologist Onnie Rogers received Gender Equity in Action Faculty Awards from the Northwestern Women's Center.
- Robert Porter, an economist and IPR associate, received the BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Award in the Economics, Finance, and Management category for founding and shaping the field of empirical industrial organization.
- IPR developmental psychologist Onnie Rogers was named an emerging scholar by Diverse: Issues in Higher Education.
- Oncofertility specialist and IPR associate Teresa Woodruff was named a 2018 fellow of the National Academy of Inventors.
- Four IPR faculty were listed in Education Week's 2018 Edu-Scholar Public Influence Rankings: David Figlio, Kirabo Jackson, James Spillane, and Carol Lee.