Faculty and Student Honors
Honorary fellowships, appointments, awards, and notable presentations for IPR faculty fellows and associates. Browse recent honors below or view our archive to see awards given prior to 2021.
The following IPR faculty who were awarded on the Associated Student Government’s 2021/2022 Faculty & Administrator Honor Roll for their teaching and exceptional impact on Northwestern undergraduate students:
- Katherine Amato, for The Human Microbiome and Health (ANTHRO 359)
- Matthew Easterday, for Community Engagement (SESP 195)
- Steven Epstein, for Health, Biomedicine, Culture, and Society (SOCIOL 220)
- Eli Finkel, for Relationship Science (PSYCH 313)
- Vijay Mittal, for Psychopathology (PSYCH 303)
- Onnie Rogers, for exceptional research mentorship
- Diane Whitmore Schanzenbach, for Economics of Social Policy (SOC POL 330)
- Sociologist and African American studies researcher and IPR associate Mary Pattillo was awarded the Commitment to Justice Award by the Collaboration for Justice of Chicago Appleseed Center for Fair Courts and the Chicago Council of Lawyers.
- Learning sciences scholar and IPR associate Nichole Pinkard was appointed the Alice Hamilton Professor of Education and Social Policy.
- Geophysicist and IPR associate Seth Stein was awarded the Walter H. Bucher medal by the American Geophysical Union.
- Economist and IPR associate Dean Karlan was elected a fellow of the Econometric Society.
- IPR social policy expert Tabitha Bonilla, IPR developmental psychologist Onnie Rogers, IPR developmental psychologist Terri Sabol, IPR economist Hannes Schwandt, and IPR political scientist Chloe Thurston were promoted to associate professors.
- IPR sociologist Simone Ispa-Landa now holds a joint appointment in human development and social policy and sociology (new).
- IPR economist Kirabo Jackson now holds a joint appointment in human development and social policy and economics (new).
- Media scholar and IPR associate Stephanie Edgerly was promoted to professor and appointment as associate dean of research at Medill.
- Developmental psychologist and IPR associate Claudia Haase was named an associate editor of Affective Science and Emotion.
- Media scholar and IPR associate Pablo Boczkowski co-won a 2022 Public Sociology Award from the Communication, Information Technologies, and Media Sociology section of the American Sociological Association.
- Social policy professor and IPR associate Nosh Contractor was named a 2022 NetSci fellow by the Network Science Society.
Kellogg social psychologist and IPR associate Ivuoma Onyeador received a Revolution Award at the 50thAnniversary Celebration of the Yale Afro-American Cultural Center and a “Rising Star” Award from the Association for Psychological Science. She also was named one of the “Best 40 Under 40 MBA Professors” by Poets&Quants.
- Psychologist and IPR associate David Rapp was named a fellow of the American Psychological Association.
- IPR political scientist Jamie Druckman won three awards from the American Political Science Association: The 2022 Experimental Research section’s Best Book Award for Advances in Experimental Political Science and the Best Article with a Preregistration Award for “How Affective Polarization Shapes Americans’ Political Beliefs: A Study of Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic,” and the Education Politics and Policy section’s Best Paper on Education Politics and Policy for “Legacies of Title IX: The Impact of Segregation on Policy Coalitions.”
- Political scientist and IPR associate Alexander Furnas’ co-authored study, “Partisan Competition and the Decline in Legislative Capacity Among Congressional Offices,” was named Best Publication on Effective Lawmaking at the Center for Effective Lawmaking’s annual research conference.
- N3 executive director Soledad McGrath, IPR sociologist Andrew Papachristos, and their team at N3 won a social impact 2021 Google Cloud Customer Award for making their data on gun violence accessible to community groups.
- Developmental psychologist and IPR associate Claudia Haase won the Office of Undergraduate Research’s Fletcher Prize for Excellence in Research Mentorship, awarded to “mentors who went above and beyond in their role of faculty mentor” to help their mentee “grow and develop as a researcher.”
- IPR economist Kirabo Jackson was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- IPR fellow emerita Alice Eagly was elected to the National Academy of Sciences.
- IPR education professor and associate James Spillane received a 2022 Spencer Mentor Award from the Spencer Foundation.
- IPR economist Kirabo Jackson was selected as the new lead editor of the American Economic Journal: Economic Policy in January 2023.
- Law professor and IPR associate Kimberly Yuracko was named a 2022 Guggenheim Fellow by the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation.
- Mechanical engineer and IPR associate Elizabeth Gerber earned the 2022 Association for Computing Machinery Special Interest Group on Computer–Human Interaction (SIGCHI) Social Impact Award.
- IPR anthropologist Sera Young received the Norman Kretchmer Memorial Award in Nutrition and Development from the American Society for Nutrition.
- Health disparities scholar and IPR associate Melissa Simon was elected to the Association of American Physicians.
- IPR economist Charles F. Manski and his co-author Francesca Molinari received the 2022 Willard G. Manning Memorial Award for the Best Research in Health Econometrics for their paper, “Estimating the COVID-19 infection rate: Anatomy of an inference problem.”
- Research by IPR anthropologist Thomas McDade, postdoctoral fellow Amelia Sancilio, professor of medical social sciences and IPR associate Brian Mustanski, and their colleagues was among the top 100 most downloaded research papers in Scientific Reports.
- IPR social policy expert Sally Nuamah received the Rodney Higgins Best Faculty Paper Award from the National Conference of Black Political Scientists for her working paper, “Public Perceptions of Black Girls and their Punitive Consequences.”
- Psychiatrist and behavioral scientist and IPR associate Crystal Clark was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) medical honor society.
- IPR psychologist Sylvia Perry was selected as a fellow at the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences at Stanford University for 2022–23.
- IPR sociologist Andrew Papachristos was named a Harry Frank Guggenheim Fellow and will use the one-year grant to work on his book on the concentration of violence in certain Chicago neighborhoods, “Murder by Structure.”
- Kellogg social psychologist and IPR associate Ivuoma Ngozi Onyeador was awarded the SAGE Early Career Trajectory Award by the Society for Personality and Social Psychology.
- IPR health disparities scholar and IPR associate Melissa Simon received the 2021 Henry P. Russe MD Citation for Exemplary Compassion in Healthcare Award from the Institute of Medicine of Chicago.
- IPR economist Seema Jayachandran's article, “The Roots of Gender Inequality in Developing Countries,” was named as one of the Annual Reviews’ Top 10 Downloaded Articles for 2021.
- IPR economist David Figlio, IPR education researcher and statistician Larry V. Hedges, IPR economist Kirabo Jackson, IPR director and economist Diane Schanzenbach, and IPR education professor and associate James Spillane were named to Education Week’s annual list of 200 influential academics in education policy.