2010 Joint IPR/OSC Workshop
City and Schools Workshop
Hosted by the Observatoire Sociologique du Changement (OSC) at Sciences Po and co-sponsored by the Institute for Policy Research at Northwestern University
July 1-2, 2010
56, rue des Saints-Pères
Salle Goguel (5th Floor)
Faculty and graduate students from Sciences Po's Observatoire Sociologique du Changement and Northwestern's Institute for Policy Research will gather to share their research and discuss ideas and opportunities for further collaboration and exchange in related areas of research.
Schedule - July 1
||Welcome and Coffee
Marco Oberti, Professor of Sociology, Sciences Po OSC
Alain Chenu, Professor of Sociology, Sciences Po, OSC Director
Fay Lomax Cook, Professor of Human Development & Social Policy and Political Science, IPR Director, Northwestern University
||SESSION 1: Ethnicity, Migration, and City
- "Ethnic and racial inequalities in France: Between assimilation and discrimination”
Mirna Safi, Research Fellow, Sciences Po OSC
- "A multidimensional model of neighborhood migration"
Lincoln Quillian, Associate Professor of Sociology andIPR Faculty Fellow, Northwestern University
- "Ethnic statistics: Contests over French national identity”
Elizabeth Onasch, PhD Student, Northwestern University
||SESSION 2: Schools and City
- "Competitive effects of means-tested school vouchers"
David Figlio, Professor of Human Development & Social Policy and Economics and IPR Faculty Fellow, Northwestern University
- "The influence of social networks on school choice in homogeneous and heterogenous neighborhoods in the Parisian periphery"
Agnès van Zanten, Senior Research Fellow, Sciences Po OSC
- "The gap between poor families and the school in deprived urban areas: Debunking two persistent myths"
Mathieu Ichou, PhD Student, Sciences Po OSC
||SESSION 3: Schools and Meritocracy
- "Education, meritocracy and social cohesion in European countries"
Marie Duru-Bellat, Professor of Sociology, Sciences Po OSC
- "Perfectionist dreams and hidden stratification: Is perfection the enemy of the good?"
James Rosenbaum, Professor of Education & Social Policy and Sociology and IPR Faculty Fellow, Northwestern University
- "Organizational routines as recoupling mechanisms: Education policy, school administration, and the technical core"
James Spillane, Professor of Education & Social Policy and IPR Faculty Associate, Northwestern University
||SESSION 4: Housing, Segregation, and Inequalities
- “Socioeconomic and ethnoracial segregation in the Paris metropolis: Recent trends and research perspectives and challenges”
Edmond Préteceille, Emeritus Research Fellow, Sciences Po OSC
- "Upper-middle class self-segregation in the Paris metropolis:The refounded neighborhoods of Courbevoie and Levallois-Perret"
Bruno Cousin, Junior Researcher, OSC
- "Exploring spatial patterns in academic achievement"
Hisham Petry, PhD Student, Northwestern University
Schedule - July 2
||SESSION 5: Social Capital
- "Intergenerational school effects of mass imprisonment in America"
John Hagan, Department of Sociology Chair, Professor of Sociology and Law, and IPR Faculty Associate, Northwestern University
- "Teenagers’ school achievement and misdemeanors: Ethnicity, social capital and social mix"
Hugues Lagrange, Senior Resarch Fellow, Sciences Po OSC
- "On the wrong side of the neighborhood: Power dependency and adolescent peer effects"
Robert Vargas, PhD Student, Northwestern University
||SESSION 6: Social Classes, Mobility, and Inequality
- “Education, occupational structure, overeducation and declining returns to education: A French/U.S. comparison 1970-2008”
Louis Chauvel, Professor of Sociology, Sciences Po OSC
- "Early childhood education centers: A promising platform for promoting low-income mothers' postsecondary educational success"
Lindsay Chase-Lansdale, Professor of Human Development and Social Policy and IPR Faculty Fellow, Northwestern University
- "Narratives of the experience of upward social mobility in the United States: Perspectives from a comparative approach"
Jules Naudet, PhD Student, Sciences Po OSC
||DISCUSSION: Scientific and Academic Partnerships
- PhD Program in Sociology, Sciences Po
- City Program, Sciences Po
Patrick Le Galès, Senior Research Fellow, Centre d’Études Européennes, Sciences Po
- PhD Program in Sociology, Northwestern University
John Hagan and Lincoln Quillian
Le Petit Niçois
10, rue Amélie 75007 Paris - Tel : 01 45 51 83 65
Responsable scientifique, OSC, Sciences Po
Marco Oberti • firstname.lastname@example.org • Tel: 011.3188.8.131.52.60
Chair, IPR's Education Policy Program:
David Figlio • email@example.com • Tel: 001.847.467.1503
Chair, IPR's Urban Policy and Community Development Program
Lincoln Quillian • firstname.lastname@example.org